Actor Will Smith has respectfully accepted his ten-year ban from the Academy Awards. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ board of governors voted to ban the 53-year-old Best Actor Winner from Oscar ceremony and other Academy activities for the next decade after he struck Chris Rock in front of an audience at last month’s award ceremony.
“I accept and respect the Academy’s decision,” Smith said in a statement
Meanwhile, the Academy has on Friday April 8, expressed:
“The Board of Governors has decided, for a period of 10 years, from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards”.
Notwithstanding, the 53-year-old actor will keep the Oscar he won at the 2022 awards night for his excellent performance in the film ‘King Richard’.
Smith’s expression of remorse after the episode:
“My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about my Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally”.
Then again, Rock opted not to file charges and has yet to publicly respond to the situation.
Will Smith has eventually been banned from attending the Oscars for a decade in the wake of slapping Chris Rock in front of an audience during the ceremony a month ago.
Smith stood up to Rock in front of an audience after the humorist poked a fun at the short and tidy hair of Jada Pinkett Smith, Smith’s better half. A week ago, Smith resigned from the academy calling his own actions. But this did not still move the Academy. He has been banned.
On Friday April 8, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences referred to Smith’s way of behaving as “unacceptable” in a letter in a letter to organization members and said the recently minted Academy Award winner would not be allowed at any events or programs hosted by the group for 10 years.
“This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy,” the group wrote in a letter to members.
According to the academy, Will Smith refused to leave the ceremony after he struck the comedian. However, there are conflicting reports about whether Smith was actually asked to leave or if it was just suggested that he depart before his award category was called.
The Los Angeles Police Department was on alert to arrest Smith at the ceremony, as per a producer of the show, but Rock declined to squeeze charges.
The Full Letter From The Academy:
The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.
During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.
Today, the Board of Governors convened a meeting to discuss how best to respond to Will Smith’s actions at the Oscars, in addition to accepting his resignation. The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.
We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.
This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy. We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted.